The Trust Fund is a newly established and independent scheme aimed at raising money to tackle the territory’s climate change-related issues, by increasing energy efficiency and utilizing alternative energies.
After residents give their feedback on the applicants by September 16 this year, nine persons will be chosen to sit on the Board.
The selection will be done by Premier Dr D Orlando Smith and Dr Kedrick Pickering who is the minister of natural resources and labour.
“I am pleased with the number and calibre of persons who took up this noble challenge, and have offered themselves to serve on this important Board. The success of the Trust Fund rests heavily on the ability and commitment of its Board, and I wish to thank all those participating in the process.”
The nine-member board, which will include six representatives from the private sector and civil society, will have executive control and management of the affairs of the Climate Change Trust Fund. They will make final decisions on all applications for funding.
The BVI is the first Caribbean island to pass legislation for the establishment of a Climate Change Trust Fund.
The Virgin Islands Climate Change Trust Fund Act took effect on January 1 this year.
Below is a list of the persons seeking to become members of the aforementioned Board.
- Benedict Bamford – Tourism; Individual
- Douglas Riegels – Tourism
- John Klein – Tourism, Any other sectortor
- Monique Adams – Financial Services
- Nelson Samuel – Financial Services
- Pauline Robinson – Financial Services
- Shelly Bend – Financial Services, Individual
- Chezley Stoddard – Any other sector/NGO or CBO
- Edward Childs – Any other sector
- Mitsy Simpson – Any other sector
- Ronnie Lettsome – Any other sector, Individual
- Stephanie Faulker Williams – Any other sector, Individual
- Eva Baskin – Academia or research organisation
- Dr Karl Dawson – Academia or research organisation
- Charlotte McDevitt – NGO
- Sarah Smith – NGO
- Shannon Gore – NGO
- Akilah Anderson – Individual
- Colin Bramble – Individual
- Dominic Clyde-Smith – Individual
- John Lewis – Individual
- Karen Fraser – Individual
- Lionel Penn II – Individual
- Michael Fonseca – Individual
- Rosemary Delaney-Smith – Individual
- Saski Laing – Individual
- Susan Babson – Individual
Credit: BVI News