The objective of the CCRIF Regional Internship Programme is to provide career-related work experience for Caribbean citizens that enhances their academic training and provides a real world introduction in the areas of disaster risk management, climate change, meteorology, risk transfer and/or risk modelling. These guidelines provide the framework for this internship programme.
CCRIF partners with national disaster management organizations and the Caribbean Disaster and Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC), Caribbean Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology (CIMH) and the University of the West Indies (UWI) and other regional organizations.
Generally, the CCRIF Regional Internship Programme has been designed to:
- Promote academic, career and/or personal development for the selected interns
- Provide interns with the opportunity to integrate their academic knowledge with practical application and skill development in the workplace
- Provide experiential learning thereby ensuring that interns gain vital skills and experience that they will be able to use throughout their professional career
- Offer interns challenging assignments that benefit the regional organization while providing tangible work experience for the intern
- Enable interns to sample potential areas of work specialization and explore the workplace culture of the assigned regional organization
- Include an intentional “learning plan” for the intern that is structured into the work experience and includes learning objectives, observation, reflection, evaluation and assessment of interns
- Balance the intern’s own learning goals with the specific work the organization needs completed
- Be of a two-month to four-month duration, with a recommended internship of three months
- Ensure that interns are provided with an opportunity to network with key professionals and stakeholders working in the various areas of disaster risk management
- Be fulltime and may include work conducted onsite at the organization, remotely or both
- Where possible, be part of a post-graduate degree programme of the University of the West Indies, the University of Guyana or other regional university for academic credi
Applications for the 2016 Regional Internship Programme must be submitted by May 1.